SPACE Inc. would like to spotlight Mary Ellen Sheets, founder of Two Men and a Truck. Two Men and a Truck is a thriving moving business with more than 1,900 trucks and 300 locations worldwide. Started right here in Michigan, Mary Ellen’s business is still going strong after 25 years. Read more about this spirited woman business owner and her journey to the top.
“In 25 years, Mary Ellen Sheets has taken her sons’ small moving business and driven it to an international corporation with more than 1,900 trucks and 300 locations worldwide. After her sons, Brig and Jon Sorber, left for college, the business continued to receive numerous requests so Sheets decided to take it over. She purchased an old moving truck for $350 – the only money she ever invested in the company – and hired two movers. The business grew steadily and Sheets’ entrepreneurial spirit became well known in the Lansing area. Eventually, she quit her state government job (foregoing her retirement) to put 100 percent into her thriving moving business. She awarded the first franchise to her daughter, Melanie Bergeron, a year later. It was located in Atlanta, Ga.
By 1989, Sheets had developed the business into the first and only local moving franchise in the country. Last year, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®/INTERNATIONAL, Inc.’s annual revenue was more than $300 million.
Sheets considers herself fortunate to have all three children actively involved in running the company. Brig Sorber is currently CEO. Melanie Bergeron acts as chair of the board of directors. Jon Sorber is executive vice president.
“When I look back, I can’t believe this all happened,” she says. “I am in shock and so grateful. I definitely think this is the American dream. We live in a wonderful country.” – twomenandatruck.com
- 2006 Ernst & Young International Runner-up Entrepreneur of the Year
- 2005 Entrepreneur of the Year by the International Franchise Association for her vision and savvy. She was the first woman to earn this award in its 40 year history.
- 2004 Michigan Women’s Foundation Women of Achievement and Courage Award
- 2002 Athena Award
- 1999 Working Women’s 500 Congress
- 1999 Working Women’s Best Employer Regional Finalist
- 1998 Blue Chip Award
- 1995 Michigan Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- 1994 Top 25 Michigan Business Woman of the Year
- 1993 Lansing Chamber of Commerce Small Business Person of the Year.